Construction interferes with students’ lives

Students give their opinion on the construction process

The ongoing construction poses as an obstacle for students every day experience. In the beginning of the year, many students had to change their morning schedule to get to the high school earlier to find a spot. “Why can’t students park in the main lot?” senior Gabe Aldape said.

The 2018-2019 school year has been a start of a new chapter for Lake Stevens High School. During the summer of 2018, the first blue fence was put around the entrance of the school, symbolizing where the new academic and athletic building would be built.

In my opinion, the blockade is necessary, but the parking situation is a problem for many driving students.

This is all good news for future students, but unfortunately for the students of years 2018-2021, the school will be under construction. With that comes noise from machines, fences blocking and taking up space, changes in sports plans, and more which I believe will cause minor struggle to our school days.

Arriving at school earlier seems to be the plan for students who want a parking spot.

“I’ve seen the struggle to find a spot in the mornings. Both lots fill up after 7am and traffic backs up quite a ways,” sophomore Owen Flinn said.

Having to wake up earlier in the morning to find a parking spot can add more struggle onto students everyday lives and leave students in a different mood throughout the rest of the day.

Students take note of the cars that are having to park a long ways from the school.

“Every morning I see cars that are having to park all the way down to Highland and down the road from that. They have to walk at least a good half mile to get to school,” senior Tosh Moore said.

The cars parked by Highland cause drivers to use caution while driving by because the cars take up half of the road and block visibility while driving. This can cause stress just by driving to school.

Parking may be a major problem for students at Lake Stevens High School but the construction has an effect in the classrooms as well. At times the continuous loud noises from working machines distract the class, especially in the 400 building.

“At times it can get a bit noisy in the 400 building, making it hard to focus in on what we’re doing in class,” senior Zoie Mastin said.

I believe the noise isn’t too much of a problem near the 400 buildings, but there are times when the clunking pierces through the classroom doors and Interrupts learning.

It’s slowly become part of our daily lives walking around a large construction area, or seeing a worker coming in or leaving work through their gates on our campus. In the end, many students, including me,  don’t mind the construction and everything that comes with it because it is building a better space for future students.