Valhalla

All Hype, No Recognition

Our girls team is incredibly talented and should be recognized more often

It%E2%80%99s+time+to+play+ball%21+The+Girls+Basketball+team+lines+up+as+they+get+ready+to+play+Kamiak.+Before+standing+for+the+pledge+the+team+warmed+up+shooting+free+throws%2C+three%E2%80%99s+and+working+on+layouts.+%E2%80%9CI+wish+more+people+would+come+out+and+support+our+team%2C+the+season+so+far+as+been+really+successful+and+I+hope+to+see+more+people+at+our+games%2C%E2%80%9D+senior+Laycie+Taylor+said.+
It’s time to play ball! The Girls Basketball team lines up as they get ready to play Kamiak. Before standing for the pledge the team warmed up shooting free throws, three’s and working on layouts. “I wish more people would come out and support our team, the season so far as been really successful and I hope to see more people at our games,” senior Laycie Taylor said.

Kani White

Kani White

Kani White, Photographer

Here at Lake Stevens High School, our sports programs tend to land at the prestigious end of the spectrum. Most would say that we are known for our athletics, yet all are not acknowledged equally. One sport that flies slightly under the radar would be our Girls Basketball team, standing strong with the record of 11-3 as of January 18.

To think that we have such a strong team here at Lake Stevens going unacknowledged is a real travesty. From going to both boys and girls basketball games, the number of people who attend the boys game versus the girls game is astonishing.

It’s important not to hate on the boys team because during their tournament in San Diego they dominated the competition.

Going back to the girls team, we have always had a solid, strong team, having made it to districts this last year, and hoping to fulfill the previous years’ accomplishments. Senior Laycie Taylor, has been on varsity for three years and is enjoying the season.

“Yes, we are having a great season, and we are all super close, but I am hoping that to be able to go to the Tacoma Dome this year,” Taylor said.

Another player speculated on the lower attendance numbers for the girls games.

“I think that many people think that our games aren’t as fun to watch or not as intense. Having people come to our games makes it more fun. We also love having the band there as well,” Smith said.

Bringing in more people to help support our strong girls team would be something everyone would appreciate because we have been annihilating the competition and will continue to do so, but they would love the support of the their fellow Vikings.