Dead Poets Society: Reviving a Dying Club

Dying club makes a comeback and plans events to grow in size

Photo courtesy of the Dead Poets Society Club

Making a comeback: Dead Poets Society Club almost got shut down, but they are working on spreading the word that this club offers a safe haven after school for students interested in literature and the arts. Dead Poet Society Club had a rough start to the 2018 year, but had worked to get their club out there and continues to work towards that goal. The club has offered students a place to go to write, read, draw, and go see plays. They based themselves around the literature theme with Senior Chantel Murphy leading it. “In order to just kind of let it out [through writing and art], because high school can be really stressful and being creative and writing it down on paper rather than punching something or someone is a lot more healthy,” Murphy stated.

Dead Poets Society is a club inspired by the movie, Dead Poets Society, with Robin Williams, in which Williams plays a new English teacher by the name of John Keating who teaches at an all-boys preparatory school. In the movie, Keating inspires and motivates his students with poetry.

The LSHS Dead Poets Society Club is similar to the movie in the way that the club uses literature and poetry to let students express and inspire themselves. It offers a safe haven and quiet place after school for students once a week. During the club students have a chance to do anything related to literature or the arts, including and not limited to writing prompts, poetry, drawing, book review/recommendations, watching movies, etc.

Annemarie Gaudin is the adviser for the Dead Poets Society. Gaudin has continued the club from former teachers Kati Tilley and Bruce Kelly, former advisors of the club, and has tried to make it a place where students feel welcomed and comfortable. Gaudin is an English 11 teacher and teaches Creative Writing, so she can also offer assistance and advice for writing.

“I think it represents a way for people to express themselves and be able to participate in group activities that are related to the arts and get to see professionals do art,” Gaudin stated.

The club president is senior Chantel Murphy, who after seeing the lack of inclusion and group activities, decided to take over and try to mend the problems, so students had a place to go and feel welcomed after school. Murphy was the only member of the club for the majority of the first semester, but thanks to some advertising there are now four members.

“For the most part I haven’t really been able to revive [the club], but now that we have members […] and a couple of events planned it should be better,” Murphy said.

The club is planning three events currently. They plan to show Gnomeo and Juliet after school on January 22 and 30 in Gaudin’s room at 2:30pm. They also plan on January 31 to go see the musical Newsies at Village Theatre in Everett. Newsie is a Disney play about a group of newspaper boys who go on strike in 1899, and you get to witness their journey and adventure. They also, in the early spring, plan to showcase the movie Dead Poets Society, so stay tuned for that information in the near future. In doing these events, they hope to draw the attention of students.

This club is a refuge for anyone who enjoys writing, reading, plays, or just wants to freely express themselves through writing or art. Murphy wanted to make it clear that you will never receive hateful criticism. They are really open to new people and ideas and there are many options during the club meetings. Murphy plans to make as little business meetings as possible for the enjoyment of the students.

Sophomore Benjamin Hibbs is the vice president of the Dead Poets Society Club. Hibbs really enjoys the club because of the freedom and support from the other members.

“It’s just a great club. It’s a nice place where people can just go for like a safe place if they don’t have that at home, or they don’t have time to get all of their stuff down or if they they just want somewhere where they can chill out and enjoy literature related things and the arts like poetry and plays,” Hibbs stated.

If you are interested in joining the club, stop by on Janurary 23 to watch Gnomeo and Juliet or on the Wednesdays after finals. The club runs from 2:30- 3:30pm in Mrs. Gaudin’s room 428 (across from the Learning Commons). There is also an activity bus that runs Monday through Thursday and picks up students at 3:30pm.

Go check out the club out and see if it is something for you, and spread the word to anyone who might be interested. This club is for anyone interested in literature and the arts.