Photography class looks to lend a hand to students in life skills

Kalena Tadio volunteers to take students’ senior photos

Here at Lake Stevens High School, the arts programs such as band, choir, art and photography have had a great rate of student involvement as well as significant notoriety. Moreover, students who excel in said programs approach their passions with hard work and dedication, one example being senior Kalena Tadio, whose passion for photography has led her to working with students in the Life Skills class.

In her AP photography class, Tadio volunteered to photograph seniors David Schnetter, Stephanie Conner, and Tosh Worley to provide them with affordable yet professional senior photos, so the students would not have to use their ASB photos in the yearbook.

Elizabeth Granillo, Kalena Tadio’s photography teacher, further explained, “[They] just bring [the life skills students into the photography classroom] and take pictures for them and print them out if they want them so they feel like they have a really nice photo.” Granillo also went on to speak toward Tadio’s enthusiasm and passion for photography. “I asked if there was anybody willing, and she volunteers for everything; she is amazing,” Granillo said. “She is just such a generous, amazing person.”

However, Elizabeth Granillo does not seem to be the only person taken by Tadio’s talent and charisma. Conner also commented on how fun Tadio was to work with during the photoshoot. She enjoyed the overall experience of the shoot as well as the products. Conner noted how much she and her mom enjoyed her senior photos thanks to Tadio. Moreover, Stephanie Conner, David Schnetter, and Tosh Worley were not the only individuals who were benefited by the experience.

Tadio stated, “I definitely grew some patience [through the experience] and understanding, and it just made my love of photography even stronger.” Although Kalena Tadio will graduate this, Granillo plans to continue providing this thoughtful gesture for senior photos to life skills students in years to come.