ORCA program focuses on student progress in the science field

Students utilize opportunities presented to them

Creative Commons

ORCA’s teachers care about the research that students conduct, making sure they do their best to help as much as possible and try to incorporate the local environment into all aspects of the curriculum. Both teachers and students that seniors Kayla Owens, Michael Finley, Acacia Quidort and Victoria Beavers have encountered in ORCA have helped their learning experience in the scientific field. “I will definitely keep in touch with everyone I’ve met through ORCA. Even now as people are making college decisions we are finding ways to stay in touch for next year,” Quidort said.

LSHS seniors Kayla Owens, Michael Finley, Acacia Quidort and Victoria Beavers currently attend the Ocean Research College Academy (ORCA), an early college program for high school students that focuses on the field of sciences. Students go out in the Puget Sound twice a month on a research vessel to collect data. This helps them gain the skills, experience, and ability to construct their own research. Though most of the focus is on the marine environment, opportunities in other fields are available.

The first year of ORCA, which starts junior year of high school, teaches how data is collected and used in addition to developing students’ critical way of thinking. The second year works on helping students create their own original project that does not limit to the marine environment. Students are able to present their findings in local or national conferences, where they utilize a networking opportunity in the science community, allowing them to meet professors and scientists from different fields.

“I chose ORCA because I wanted a more challenging environment. I wanted to push myself and graduate high school with an Associates in Arts and Sciences while still being with students my own age who were working toward the same goal. I have been able to tour labs at the University of Washington and meet with graduate professors to help me with my current research project,” Quidort said.

Through ORCA, students can set up a path to college and even possibly their profession. Leaving high school with an Associate’s Degree like other Running Start students they won’t have to bother with most of the prerequisites in the University they choose to attend.

“The various research and networking opportunities available through ORCA have allowed me to explore my interests and helped me discover what field of study I want to pursue. ORCA has also helped me transition from high school to a college environment which will make transitioning to university this fall not as overwhelming. Graduating high school with my AAS means that I will enter college as a freshman but with the credits of a junior. This will give me a head start over other college freshman as I will have completed the majority of my prerequisites and general freshman courses,” Quidort said.

To take hold of this opportunity, students can schedule a meeting with their counselor to talk about what is needed to qualify. In addition there is open houses and the ability to shadow a student to get the feel of the curriculum and environment.