Homecoming Game will air on ESPNU

ESPNU will air tonight’s Homecoinging Game.

This year, the LSHS homecoming game on October 23 is being aired on ESPNU and everyone is preparing for the big event. Homecoming Games are always a big event for any high school, but for Lake Stevens it’s even bigger because the ESPNU crew is coming with their cameras.

Principal Eric Cahan is especially excited for this huge event.

“Obviously, you know, we’re going to be nationally televised so we’ll have millions of people aware of what’s going on at Lake Stevens High School and we’re just thrilled,” Cahan said.

An estimated four thousand people will attend the game. Some people may view this as a problem, but Cahan has a different view on the matter.

“We’re looking at it as an opportunity so we’re trying to look at ways we can expand the seating. For example, opening up the flanks in the grass so that people can walk around to the outside,” said Cahan. “We’re also asking more administrators from the middle level to take care of the middle school students and the high school students don’t have a problem packing in that bottom section.”

ESPNU has also prepared a complex plan for camera placement.

“There are four cameras: two on the flanks and then two on the south side, the visitors side, and they’ll be scissor lifts. And then there’ll be walking camera crews running around,” said Cahan.

Football player junior Dylan Hutchinson thinks of the game being aired as motivation for the team and isn’t nervous.  

“I think it’s pretty cool. [Homecoming] gives us more drive to be able to do better,” said Hutchinson. “It’s [really]  just another game to all of us.”

Viking Cheerleaders are a bit more nervous, but generally excited about the event.

“I’m more excited. I wouldn’t say I’m stressed but I’m a little bit nervous cause I don’t want anything to go wrong, but I’m more excited than nervous,” said senior Madeline Church. “There’s a lot more pressure from our coach and teammates. Everybody wants to do everything to a T.”

Be sure to remember not to miss the game whether watching it live or on the television.