Lake Falls Back, But Will Spring Forward

Lake Stevens cancels all Spring sports and events due to COVID-19 outbreak.

Lake Stevens High School is well known for many amazing quotes. Whether it be their outstanding academics, their amazing theater events, or their relentless attitude down on the field. Unfortunately the only thing “relentless” this year is the COVID-19 outbreak.  As all of Lake Stevens High Schools Spring events came rolling around so did the Coronavirus, canceling school and all school-related spring events, such as the school’s production of “Romeo and Juliet” and all of the school’s spring sports that were ready to go.

Unfortunately due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the show cannot go on. As Lake Stevens High School closed its doors, the LSHS theater closed production of the Spring play, “Romeo and Juliet”. The Lake Stevens HIgh School Theater has a history of well-made performances every year. Following last year’s musical “Godspell”, attention was high to see Lake Stevens rendition of the beloved and classic Shakespeare play. The hearts of waiting patrons are not the only things crushed by this news, as all members of the Lake Stevens Performing Arts Center are feeling the weight of the show’s cancelation deep in their heart. The seniors more than others for they were ready to take their final bow.

One thing people always correlate with Lake Stevens High School is their athletic teams. Unfortunately with the school year being cut short, those spring athletes won’t get their time to shine this year. Spring is also one of the seasons with the widest varieties of sports being played. Sports such as baseball, softball, lacrosse, track, golf and rowing are cancelled until next year’s season. A year’s worth of training was shot down by this pandemic. All athletes share feelings of anger and disappointment from having their sporting events removed before it got started. Unfortunately, unlike other classes who can train again for next year, senior athletes can relate to the senior cast members. 

Although these cancelations have left all Lake Stevens High School students down in the dumps about all the potential “what if’s”, many have taken into consideration the great times over the last two years spent underneath the spotlight or stadium lights. The moments throughout high school that shaped these students into the people they are today. Whether you can participate again next year, or it was your last time in the light, remember the words of  Dr. Seuss, “Don’t cry because it is over, smile because it happened.”