FCCLA wins big at state

Students use the power of binders to dominate state

Photo courtesy of Kathy Hahn

Going for the Gold: From left to right: FCCLA gold medalists, junior Taylor Garcia, senior Emma Hoggatt, sophomores Courtnay Yelm and Harley Kayser, juniors Maleah Plank and Kylea Shepard, pose for a celebratory photo at the state conference in Kennewick, Washington. This group advanced to nationals this summer in Georgia. “[Competing] is really cool. It’s a good experience to have and you gain a lot of leadership experience, a lot of skills that you use when you are an adult. You learn how to communicate a lot,” Plank said.

Members of the Lake Stevens FCCLA chapter traveled to Kennewick on March 7 to represent our school at the state level competition. Everyone who participated medaled, and six students earned the gold medal ranking necessary to advance onto nationals this summer in Atlanta, Georgia.

Juniors Gabriella Watts and Brielle Tapia and senior Adhana Tapia competed in the culinary event, representing LSHS for the first time in this event

“It’s really hard, so I am really proud that we got bronze,” Watts said.

At the competition Watts and her teammates prepared an entree, two side dishes and a dessert within a one-hour time period, being sure to follow health and safety regulations along the way. They spent the weeks and months leading up to the competition in preparation for their event.

“We had trial lists that could have been chosen, three or four menus to do, and so for five months we practiced each of the menus and then a week or two before the actual date we learned what [menu] we were doing and so it was everyday cooking for that,” A.Tapia said.   

Only one team at state can be awarded a gold medal in culinary, instead of the two gold medals typical of most other events in FCCLA, so unfortunately the group won’t be continuing on to nationals.

“It was just really fun, and it was a really nice experience. […] With all the practicing I did, I think I’ve matured, and I’ve become more confident in myself, and I’m very proud,” Watts said.

The other members of FCCLA who competed have good reason to be proud as well.

Sophomores Courtnay Yelm and  Harley Kayser earned gold in the Chapter in Review Portfolio event. They worked throughout the year creating a master-portfolio documenting all the work FCCLA did to benefit their club and their community. At state they presented the resulting 47 page binder to judges along with a fifteen minute speech about their project. Their exceptional work earned them the gold necessary to continue on to nationals this summer in Georgia.  

Juniors Taylor Garcia and Kylea Shepard took gold in Promote and Publicize FCCLA.  Their event also required the creation of an impressively massive binder, this one focused specifically on raising awareness of FCCLA. Starting in July of last year, they worked continuously on projects meant to increase membership in FCCLA as well as public awareness of the club. They worked concessions at sports games,organized school-wide food drives and bake sales. Their work impressed judges at state, and they too will be moving on to nationals this summer.

Some students took on the challenge of competing in individual events. Senior Emma Hoggatt and junior Maleah Plank both chose events which connect to their future plans. Hoggatt participated in the Early Childhood Education event. She worked throughout the year in a third grade classroom, developing instructional skills and getting real life experience in her desired career field. She also created a group of three lesson plans working with the theme “out of this world”. She presented a portfolio detailing her work in the classroom and her lesson plans to judges at state and earned gold in her event.

Plank participated in the Career Investigation event and looked into her preferred career as a neurosurgeon. Her investigation included diligent research as well as interviews with current M.D.s and medical students. She compiled her findings in, you guessed it, a portfolio which she presented with a ten-minute speech at state earning gold in her category and securing her spot at nationals this summer. At state, Plank was also elected the state vice president of programs and community service. In this position she’ll come up with a statewide project for FCCLA to work on next year in order to better the community.

Senior Grace Fortney will be accompanying the team to nationals in order to accept their award for placing first in the Safe Rides, Save Lives PSA competition. Fortney just completed her term as FCCLA state secretary and is extremely grateful for the role FCCLA has played in her high school career.

“I really love getting the opportunity to travel and meet new people and just gaining leadership skills. It’s a great opportunity to gain skills that I’ll use in my future as an educator,” Fortney said.

Overall, FCCLA is sending six highly qualified students to compete at nationals this summer. They’ll spend the next few months brushing up their speeches and guarding their binders, ready and waiting for that trip to Georgia. A big thank you to the brave students who allowed me to borrow said binders for an hour of research. Holding one of these beautiful binders in one’s hands, it’s impossible not to see how much dedication these students have to their work. Be sure to send these students lots of luck for nationals this summer and check out FCCLA!