The Magic That Makes the Stage Come Alive

What it really takes to create the sets for Sister Act

Kassie Gruel

Lights! Curtains up! Cue music! Sister Act is the upcoming musical put on by the LSHS Drama Club on November 9th. Preparation for Sister Act has happened since the first day of school with having only nine weeks to make sets and rehearse scenes. “They[the set crew] are the thankless people because nobody really knows about them. Things just happen, they just create the magic,” Mindy Marks states.

When it comes to musicals or plays, people tend to give credit to the actors on stage, but without the set crews it would simply be actors on a stage not medieval peasants on the streets, a police officer in a jail cell or a scientist in a lab. It wouldn’t be possible without those who create the settings for the actors to bring the musicals alive.

Sister Act is the upcoming musical that will premiere November 9. They are still in the process of finishing sets and practicing with the pit orchestra. Mindy Marks is the Drama director for LSHS; she works with everyone to help make sure everything is in order and trains students to make the whole system run well. A production is greatly enhanced by set designers and stage crew.

“These are the kids who just focus on building the set pieces and then during the show moving the set pieces around, opening curtains, [and flying] in different scenes,” Marks stated.

Students can be part of the crew without any experience and come out having learned how to use power tools, paint interior and exterior scenes and a variety of other skills.

The students have nine weeks to make all the sets, which includes about four full roll-on and roll-off sets and four or so add-on sets, and all on top of practicing for the musical itself at the same time. The whole group rehearses and works everyday after school and even on Saturdays to prepare and finish everything. There are about 24 students participating on the crew; they consider themselves one crew because everyone pitches in where help is need and does something to help with the set itself.

Kenneth Cody is a parent helper with the Drama Club. Sister Act will be his eighth production with LSHS. Mr. Cody is in charge of the kids who a part of the set crew. The students make all the sets; Mr. Cody takes an hour or two to teach the students the basics of everything and then sets them free to put what they learned to work. The students have nine weeks to make all the sets, which includes about four full roll-on and roll-off sets and 4 or so add on sets. Mr. Cody starts preparing for the musical in July by creating a miniature set up and design plans, so students don’t have to waste time coming up with an idea from scratch.

Senior Jordyn Jackson is the stage manager for the drama club. She makes sure all the crew and cast are organized and that everything happens as it needs to happen. She also calls the queues during the show.

“Mr. Knutson’s math construction class builds the framework for[the crew]” Jackson stated.

So check out Sister Act on opening night November 9 and support the LSHS Drama Club.