Student body wants a Prom King

Bringing back Prom King would quench the desire of LSHS students

Cierra Holder

Royal Bling. The 2015 Homecoming Crown is presented to senior Jack Stevens at the “Back to the Future” themed Homecoming Assembly. In the past, the crown was presented to a Prom King, not a Homecoming King. “It should be a school wide vote as to whether or not we should have a Prom King or a Homecoming Queen,” senior Corbin Schueller said.

The discussion began the instant that it was announced – there would be no Prom King for the 2015-2016 school year at Lake Stevens High School, but instead there would be a Homecoming Queen and King. Some students at LSHS support this decision and others tolerate this decision, yet there are many students who strongly disagree with the decision of eliminating the vote of a Prom King with the vote of a Homecoming Queen and King. The decision made is wrongful and LSHS needs to continue having a Prom King each year, as it is a tradition known to every student, alumni, and member of the Lake Stevens’ community.
The main reason given as to why there will be no Prom King this year is said to be a result of exclusion; however, a majority of the students at LSHS do not feel excluded from Prom.
Senior Taylor Lopez said, “I just think it’s natural. It’s kinda like a student rule that it is just mostly seniors that go to Prom. [When I was a sophomore and junior] I was fine with it.”
Not only did the news anger LSHS students, but it also came very unexpectedly to them.
“I thought it was a little unsettling; I’m pretty used to the tradition, and I didn’t see a real reason for [the administration] to shake up the tradition by changing it like that,” senior Corbin Schueller said.
Both Lopez and Schueller believe that the school should have activities that the student body wants and because it seems that the student body wants a Prom King, LSHS needs to bring back the long-standing tradition of having a Prom King.