SACo Update

The voices of the students next plan of action.

Graphic created by Brandon Himple

Students come together as a council to discuss student issues and concerns. “My favorite part of being involved in SACo would be getting the opportunity to work with a bunch of different people and being able to see the different perspectives on touching issues,” senior Kaitlyn Johnson said.

In the Lake Stevens School District, students eighth through twelfth grade can represent the questions and concerns of other students to those who make decisions for their schools. 

The Student Advisory council known as SACo, consists of four Cavelero Mid High School Students, six Lake Stevens High School Students, three of those six being presidents, and two vice presidents.

It has been a whirlwind of a year for SACo. This is the council’s first year and throughout the year, the majority of the time has been spent on understanding the process of how the council is run and how to get students more involved and getting their voices heard. 

Currently, the council is invested in working on hate speech training through schools and has been collaborating with Dr. Monica Meadows for ways to help with hate speech against minority groups. The council hopes to have a trial run at Cavelero Mid High School and Lake Stevens Middle School before the end of the year.

“One of the things about being in SACo is that you get to see other students in leadership roles and taking on the responsibility of being in SACo,” senior Kaitlyn Johnson said.

“Being able to make a difference to make the school better is very rewarding,” junior Josefina Odegaard said.

“Working with younger SACo members and getting them more involved with the district and leadership is my favorite part of being in SACo,” Senior Grace Davis said.

The student advisory council meets every first Tuesday of the month. If you have any questions feel free to reach out to your student council members.