Vikings will make the most of summer

Students look forward to working, traveling and relaxing after school ends

Beach Lover: On days when the sun is shining, head to Mukilteo Beach for a picnic or a walk and enjoy the sounds of the waves gently crashing on the shore. Mukilteo Beach is one of the closest beaches to Lake Stevens, but also one of the most beautiful due to the view of the Possession Sound and Whidbey Island. “My one thing I would say to underclassmen about summer is soak it in, really enjoy your summer. I did not enjoy my summers and I took my summers for granted. Enjoy your summer. Live it up to the fullest. Because you’re gonna make your best memories within your high school summers in my opinion,” senior Amanda Comfort said.

With summer rapidly approaching, many students are planning trips and activities for the summer. While travel can be limited for students due to their age, there are still local places kids can go to have fun.

Lake Stevens is very convenient for teens with limited access to transportation, and there are many other lakes, rivers, and beaches to explore and enjoy. Senior Lexie Fackrell recommends Lake Goodwin for its beach, and it’s only seven miles away from Marysville.

In Arlington, there is Jordan Bridge, which was built over the South Fork Stillaguamish River. This is a great spot because it is less popular, but very clean and depending on the river level, it’s pretty spacious.

For those who prefer ocean beaches, Alki Beach in Seattle is for you. Alki is one of the few Washington beaches that is sandy and not ankle breakingly rocky. One drawback of Alki Beach is its popularity.

Another popular and closer beach is Mukilteo Beach. The beach and park are just a short walk from a couple of restaurants, which makes for great beach picnic food.

Beyond local activities, many students will be venturing farther away for a bit of their summer. There are various ways students travel during the summer from road trips with friends, to flying with family and traveling through school programs.

“I’m planning on going to Costa Rica. I’m going with the Spanish class through school, so I’m planning on doing ziplining and other activities,” sophomore Venezia Camacho said.

There are many different parts of travel: the preparation, the journey, the destination and the return. Some parts are fun, some are stressful, but they are all part of the adventure.

“This summer I’m planning on hopefully road tripping to Idaho where Chicago with my mom to visit my aunt,” senior Amanda Comfort said.

Camping is a classic summer activity, and there are a couple beautiful campgrounds that are further west along the coast that have beach access.

There is Mora Campground, which has clean, beautiful sites. It is adjacent to Rialto Beach, which is known for its sea-carved arch called Hole-in-the-Wall, as well as its tide pools. If you are looking for another add-on to your trip, the town of Forks is only a 30 minute drive from Rialto Beach.

The Salt Creek Campground is a very well kept place, with beach views, a playground and coin operated showers. The Salt Creek Campground used to be a World War II Military camp, called Camp Hayden. Within the Salt Creek Recreation Area, there are the Salt Creek tide pools as well as walking trails.

Aside from the fun activities, summer is also a time that students choose to work and save money and meet goals.

“That’s my goal is to afford and be able to keep up with the new car,” Fackrell said.

For students, sometimes saving money can be hard as many students are excited to have money to spend on all their wants.

“One goal I have for this summer would probably be to save up as much money as I can. Because I’m not the best saver. I like to spend my money. So I want to have at least $1,000 I guess,” Comfort said.

As the year draws to a close, many seniors are looking forward to their last summer vacation. It may feel like it has flown by and that is normal. While underclassmen tend to think they have all the time in the world, in reality, graduation will come just as quickly for them.

“Have fun while it lasts,” Fackrell recommended.

It’s important to be present in the moment and be grateful for the memories you make now.