Boys Swim and Dive is soon coming to an end after a successful season

Updates on how the year went and upcoming events

Dakot

Pumped up: The Boys Swim and Dive team excitedly yell the cheer they do before every meet. Swimmers created cheers for the divers that they chant after each dive. “Things like, ‘Honey, where’s my super suit?’ or…’C-4. Hit! you sunk my battleship!’ for each diver makes it fun. I know the divers love hearing them, and the swimmers love making them up. It’s fun to watch other schools react too. We have probably the most enthusiastic diver cheers in the area!” Coach Brady Dykgraaf said.

The boys team this year won all seven regular season meets, and is sending many athletes to districts. They have had many ups and downs, especially regarding the impacts of COVID-19, but the team has maintained a positive outlook.

“The biggest success of the season seems silly, but it’s making it through without having to cancel a meet. So many sports have had their seasons impacted in big ways, but our team has been able to stay in the pool, swim meets, have a crowd attend our meets, and have a full season. That seems like a little thing, but after the last few years, it’s a big deal,” Coach Brady Dykgraaf said.

The season kicked off to a great start with the Vikings winning 146-33 against Everett at their first meet. The next six meets looked similar, with the Vikings scoring over 100 points each time.

“My favorite thing about swimming is probably just like the people who swim and … just like the community surrounding it,” sophomore Isaac Anderson said.

Swimmers line up on the deck holding kickboards to honor their seniors on Senior Night. (Dakota Latham)

One of the biggest nights from this season took place at the last home meet, Senior Night on Jan. 20 . A number of seniors swam in the last home meet of their high school careers. The rest of the team stood on the deck holding kickboards up in the air for their seniors to walk through, leading them to the starting blocks on which they stood holding purple and gold flowers.

With the regular season now over, the post season is what athletes have their eyes on.

JV Champs, which took place on Feb. 3, also showed a very powerful performance for the Vikings. Placing first out of six schools, they scored 512 points.

A total of 23 athletes are going to be competing at districts, nineteen swimmers and four divers including: senior Jaden Cardona, sophomore Colin Raynor, freshman Xander Roberts, and freshman Owen Stults. Districts are used to determine what teams and individuals will be going to state.

Jaden Cardona mid-air during one of his dives. (Dakota Latham)

There is still a chance to catch some exciting postseason meets:
Districts Dive Prelims – Feb. 9
Swim Prelims – Feb. 10
Districts Finals – February 12
State – February 18-19