Class of 2021 questions what college will look like next year

LSHS graduates give insight and opinions about online college learning

Courtesy of Scott Hicks

Study Time: Raye Liffrig studies criminal psychology in her college apartment in Pullman, Washington. Due to COVID-19 she was not able to attend classes on campus,; however, she continues to keep a positive attitude. “Go Cougs!” Liffrig said.

As seniors prepare to go to college, there are many concerns as to what college may look like in the upcoming fall due to the pandemic. As many students may know, several universities in Washington state are teaching full- time online now with limited access to campus.
Many colleges have given students rules and guidelines to follow to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Colleges have imposed strict regulations as to what classes, if any, are in-person and how open the campus will be to students.
LSHS graduate Isaiah Perez is studying to major in accounting and minor in business management at Western Washington University. Perez has been in distance learning since September of 2020. Perez has received information about mandatory protocols from WWU. Students will need to follow the campus rules for colleges to open back up again and allow in-person classes to begin.
“They have already given us some required stuff we have to read on going back to class and wearing masks and proper distancing,” Perez said.
“The food courts won’t be open a bunch, and the library will have a lot of spacing.”
Mask wearing will be required on campus and social distancing will be recommended when walking around.
While incoming students are becoming familiar with the new COVID-19 protocols on campus, they are also concerned about what online learning will look like. If colleges are not teaching students in-person, how will students make new friends online and create a positive learning environment for themselves.
LSHS graduate Raye Liffrig is studying at Washington State University and plans to graduate this upcoming June with a major in criminal justice and a minor in psychology. Liffrig has been attending WSU for the past four years and never expected to be graduating in the middle of a pandemic. Like many other students, this past year has been difficult maneuvering online learning, making new friends, and bonding with new teachers.
“It’s a little bit difficult to form friendships with teachers over , but it is super fun to see the different personalities of professors shine through because they without a doubt want you to succeed,” Liffrig said. “There’s a ton of resources if you’re struggling with something and there’s always someone a phone call or email away to help.”
Senior Jordan Cagle is looking forward to being a freshman in college and wants to participate in regular college activities. Since Cagle missed out on the regular high school activities like Friday night football games, homecoming, senior activities, and assemblies, Cagle hopes that the college she chooses will be more open.
“When picking a college, one of the things that I was looking for was a school with a football team and basketball team that’s super energetic and has that kind of student-based thing,” Cagle said. “If I go to college and I’m not able to do those kinds of student-based things, like I haven’t been able to my senior year, I think it will be super disappointing.”
There is quite a bit of uncertainty about what college will look like in the upcoming fall; however, there is still hope that students will return to in-person classes. Hopefully, college campuses will be open to the students with the right precautions taken.