Boy’s swim leaves the competition in their wake

A multitude of students dominate at recent swim meets and dive competitions

The 2017 Lake Stevens boys swim team.

This season, boy’s swimming has been extremely successful. The boy’s JV team won the Championships with many athletes such as senior Connor Yeutter, sophomore Konnor West, sophomore Kayto Krueger, freshman Nick Fuez, senior Wyatt Blankenship, and junior Blake Braaten all qualifying for districts. Individual event winners include freshman Kurt Lippmann, freshman Tyler Cochran, and junior Kyle Rasmussen who won in two events. Other successes from the JV Championships include senior Andrew Moss winning 9th overall in the 200 IM, senior Dameon Micallef, senior Peter Kravchuk, and Fuez placing in the 50 freestyle, and senior David Baylon, junior Bennet Svob and sophomore Luke Joss being in the top ten of of backstroke swimmers. Congratulations JV boy’s swim!

In addition to JV Championships, swim and dive district results for varsity also proved to be a success. Highlights included junior Carter Walles in the 200m and 500m free stroke, senior Miles Slater in the 50m and 100m free stroke, junior Coleson Wynne in the 50m free stroke, and junior Riley Koon in diving. The boy’s team also sent 3 relay teams to compete at state. These teams consisted of Walles, freshman Alejandro Flores, junior Quade McKenzie and Slater who competed in the 200m medley, Wynne, McKenzie, senior David Joo and sophomore Gideon Marlatt competing in the 200m free stroke, and Slater, Wynne, Flores, and Walles in the 400m free stroke. The 200m medley and 400m free stroke previously swam by these teams broke school records and these gentlemen were seeded top eight in state.

State results:

Carter Walles: Placed 6th in state 200 m free style with a 1:45.83 time along with placing 3rd in the 500 free style in 4:43.81 minutes.

Alejandro Flores: Placed 9th in 200 m with a 1:59.18 time and 3rd in 100 m breaststroke with a time of 57:41.

Slater, Wynne, Flores, and Walles placed 6th in state in the 400m free stroke relay with a time of 3:15.44.

LSHS’s diving team also placed 11th in state.