Choirs perform in Seattle

Jazz, Treble, and Concert Choir spread holiday cheer

All three choirs pose for a photo at Seattle Center in front of the Space Needle. The groups performed at the Wintertide festival with song selections from Pentatonix, Idina Menzel, Kristen Bell, and The Sound of Music.

Photo courtesy of Heidi Forslund

On December 11, Treble Choir, Concert Choir and Jazz choir all hopped on school buses and rode down to Seattle, where each choir performed for locals at Seattle Center’s annual Winterfest event that runs from November 27 through December 31.

After giving a stellar performance, the students took the Monorail to 5th Avenue Theatre where they attended a workshop and had the opportunity to experience the stage musical of Roger and Hammerstein’s, The Sound of Music. The students got a chance to work with an associate music director from the show. They sang through a piece from the show and got a talk through from Arnold (D) about how the musical came to be and the history of the real Maria von Trapp.

“Parts of the workshop were really useful for my students,” choir director Heidi Forslund said. “It showed what people can do for a living with music. I loved learning the history of the show and singing along with my students,” Forslund said.

Students enjoyed their time together as classes and adventuring through Seattle. The workshop was a new experience for many.

“It was solid for the group setting and was mostly geared towards ensemble work,” senior Mackenzie Plank said. “I thought it was cool that the people running the workshop worked on the show.”

Trips like these give the choirs a chance to experience something new, grow as performers and bond as a group.

“Overall, the trip was really fun. The groups did fabulous jobs performing. The show was so good,” said Forslund.