Spring Sports Wrap up

Successful season for spring teams lead to district playoffs with hopes to go to state

Lucien Sevilla

Sun’s out guns out: With the season coming to an end, multiple teams prepare to make deep runs in the postseason. “This being our first full-length season in two years makes it special for all of us, and I just wanna make the most of it, ” senior Ryan Harden said.

Track and Field

The Lake Stevens track teams have always been a powerhouse in Wesco and in the state. Recently they have been crowned Wesco Champs. They have many high spots on both the boys and girls side such as seniors Trayce Hanks and Chloe Pattison. They have not lost a head-to-head meet at all this season, destroying every team they have competed against so far.

Next step for them is districts and then state. A number of athletes have the capability to go to state, and they believe that they can bring home some hardware this year.

“This year has me trying to prove myself to everyone since we missed two years due to COVID,” senior Trayce Hanks said.

Softball

They currently have a record of 11-9 and with a league record of 6-3. After having a losing record last season, they were able to bounce back this year being the number two seed in Wesco this year.

“Beginning of the season it was a rough start, but once we started putting in the hard work in practice, it started to finally pay off,” senior Emily Cardenas said.

And pay off it did as they were able to beat the number one team in the state, Jackson and number two team, Glacier Peak.

Cardenas isn’t the only senior on the squad leaving this year. Senior Kyleigh Lynn, who has been stellar this season and made a number of key plays, such as a homerun against Jackson. They both have stepped up when it matters to help them close big games.

“I’m having so much fun this season. I’ve realized that I just love softball and I love playing it with people who make it super fun! Playing high school softball made me realize how grateful I am to play softball at Wisconsin Lutheran College next year, “ Cardenas said.

They are currently in the district playoffs, and with one win they advance to state.

Baseball

The Lake Stevens High School Baseball team finished the season with a 12-10 record, but with a 4-7 record in league play.

“The season definitely went up and down, but through it all, our guys worked super hard to continue to persevere and grind. We aways won together and lost together, but in the end we all came together and played our brand of baseball,” senior Hayden McDonald said.

They showed how they could play at the level of some of the best teams of the state even beating 4A powerhouse Jackson Timberwolves after losing to them a couple days before. This team also had a lot of ups and downs, but strung a couple of wins together to put them into
districts but ultimately lost in the first round.

“After last year, we showed a lot of promise and we just wanted to show to everyone how good we could be, especially since Wesco is one of the best baseball leagues in Washington,” junior Cole Becker said.

Soccer

The men’s soccer team at Lake Stevens had a lot of ups and downs this season which taught them a lot. They were a senior-heavy team, graduating seven people including five who are starters. They finished the season with a 4-7-1 record with a 1-6-1 record in league play.

“We are just trying to show what we are capable of since we did miss a year two years ago while almost every other sport got a season, but COVID took over as soon as tryouts were over,” senior Ryan Harden said.

They started the season off shaky losing their first two games and senior captain Ryan Harden to a red card in the season opener. They found their stride winning their next three, but once league play started, they realized how competitive Wesco truly was. They lost their first two games before beating Kamiak in a thriller with a score of 3-2. Unfortunately they could not win another game the rest of the season leaving them missing districts.

Girls and boys golf

While facing many challenges with weather issues, both teams were able to have a somewhat successful seasons with both teams going 3-2.

“Practicing constantly in the mud had us get used to the mud;, but then when it was sunny during comp days, we would get thrown off a good amount.” senior Leatha Dunkin said.

Playing against strong teams taught them a lot throughout the season..

The entire boys golf team were able to go to day one of districts, but only one Viking stood alone on day two of districts, which was Zach Hansen.

“The season went great. The team really got their chance this year to experience competition, but the underclassmen all made it to districts, so they have plenty of time throughout their high school career to go even farther,” senior Sawyer Watson said.

Girls tennis

While the lady Vikings tennis team had a record of 3-13 that doesn’t mean there was a lack of high points for them this season. They have added a lot of young talent this year that show strong signs of promise for years to come. Sophomores Ru and Bu Sansuddi were able to go to districts as singles to represent Lake Stevens. For doubles, Emily Andelin and Emily Justus also went to districts for doubles. Justus holds high praises from her fellow teammates.

“It was Emily Justus’s first year playing tennis, and no one would ever know it,” senior Hanna Michalisin said.

Michalisin and her doubles partner Shealyn Haack also were able to go to districts and even continue to day two of districts after beating Glacier Peak in the third set. In the second day of districts with wild winds, they ended up losing to Kamiak and ending their season.

“We improved a lot from the beginning of the year. It was my first year playing doubles, but we’ve had a great doubles partnership from day one and it is sad that we are done,” Michalisin said.

Overall, spring sports have been a success and provided all of the athletes with a full season of competition.