Fall sports in the spotlight

Vikings men’s tennis and XC performed well all season

Aidyn Marshall

Vikings tennis and cross country end their 2021 season after exceptional performances all year round. They both picked up right where they left off from the shortened COVID year last spring. “It was a good season we had and we hope just to keep on getting even better next season,” sophomore Carter Kaub said.

As the 2021 fall season of sports comes to an end, all fall sports teams Varsity and JV have performed above par as they close out their respective seasons. But the Vikings cross country and men’s tennis team have performed up to expectations and even further.

Starting with cross country, Jacob Broadbent led the mens varsity team with the most top three finishes in the 5000 meter races. Ammon Wagner and Sean O’Malley are also among the people up there with him on the team’s top contributors.

“It’s great to be back to a regular schedule and a full season after the modified COVID year. We definitely came out of the gate competing and hoping we keep that mentality as we get to the championship meets,” sophomore Bernardo Contreras said.

Switching sides to the varsity women’s team; junior Alexis Buhman, senior Ashley Reeck, and junior Ella Edens finished in the top ten in each of the races they were present in. They also helped their team to six wins including a win at the Wesco League XC Championships.

Both varsity teams competed in the District 1 XC Championship on Oct. 30, 2021 at Lakewood High School. Then the following week, state qualifiers competed in the 4A WIAA XC Meet at Sun Willows Golf Course on Nov. 6, 2021 to wrap up the season. The Lake Stevens girls team finished ninth in the state with an average time of 20:33.4. Buhman was the Vikings’ top finisher with a time of 19:45.20.

Although the boys team didn’t place at the state meet in Pasco, junior Jakob Broadbent, the Vikings’ top finisher secured 27th place with a time of 16:44.50.

Now, shifting gears to the men’s tennis team who finished their season with a 3-5 division record and 9-5 overall throughout the conference. Seniors Dillon Wells and Dane Sledge led the team in individual wins this season.

The varsity team finished with a record of 62 individual wins and 32 individual losses, which held them to 4th in the 4A league. Wells had the only match where he did not drop a single set en route to a 7-0 shutout over Mariner High School on Oct. 4.

The boys team was pleased to play a full season this year.

“It was fun, the most fun I had playing tennis. It just felt good to be back after the shortened season and as we’re trying to fully get back to normal,” sophomore Carter Kuab.

Both these Viking squads had another strong season filled with great competitions and team efforts that resulted in many wins. Coming off a shortened season in early spring, they all came back ready to play, and it showed through in the seasons these teams had. They showed what it takes to be a Lake Stevens Viking.