WIAA fall sports update

Lake Stevens High School athletes return to sports.

Isaac Xiong

Fresh start: All players on the field or sidelines working hard to prepare for the season. Lake Stevens Vikings are eager start this season strong. “They’re going at it pretty hard,” Xiong said.

The WIAA has given the green light for high school students to return to sports. Washington School Districts have had time to create their plans to keep students Covid safe, and now it is time for athletes to get to work.

On Monday, Feb. 22 fall sports teams started preparing for their season, and these athletes couldn’t be more excited.
“Seeing the team. Being with friends I enjoy spending time with and kind of being around people who I’ve created bonds with” senior running back Jay Roughton said. Roughton talked about what their team has been doing to prepare for the season. “We’ve been working on film and working on kind of aligning the signs stuff.”

Many athletes including Roughton have been preparing for the season through virtual team workouts, cardio training, and weight training on their own time. Our Lake Stevens football team will be back in action in their first game of the season on Saturday, Mar. 6 versus Archbishop Murphy High School.

Cross country ran against Everett High School in their first meet of the season on Mar. 3 at McCollum Park in Everett. Cross-country runners are excited to be able to compete while having a good time with the people they have created friendships with. One runner that is especially happy to be back is senior Kerrah Conner. “I’m super excited! I am excited to just be a part of a team again and just to see like everyone’s face and just to talk,” Conner said.

Along with football and cross country, boys tennis, girls soccer, girls swimming, and girls volleyball will also be competing during the shortened fall season. All teams must follow Covid guidelines, and no spectators are allowed. Games and events will be streamed through the LSHS Athletics Youtube channels.