Cove renders excellence

DECA students certified the Cove to gold-level standard

Drew Williams

Senior Braden Ash and Junior Britney Watson celebrate the gold-level certification for the Lake Stevens High School Cove. This gives the Cove distinction in being one of the highest quality business operations in the nation. “Completing the SBE project is a significant reward for their hard work and have the Cove recognized as a distinguished student enterprise,” said DECA Advisor Karen Morton.

The Lake Stevens High School Cove has recently been certified to the DECA national gold-level standard. Senior Braden Ash and junior Britney Watson accomplished this certification by researching the necessities to operate a superb business and proceeded to write a thirty-page essay on those necessities.

“(National gold-level standard certification) means that the Cove is a distinguished business operation that meets an extremely high level of criteria. That means it is of the highest standard of any school-based enterprise in the world. [The Cove] is, by definition, better than other school-based enterprises who have not been certified,” senior Braden Ash said.

This certification did not come easily to Ash and Watson; as Ash described, he and Watson began working towards this certification at the beginning of the school year and submitted their work near the beginning of January. But nonetheless, their hard work and dedication paid off.

“Mrs. Morton sent a text to Braden and I the day she found out that we got certified. I was really relieved to find out that we had made it and super excited and ready to prepare for nationals in Nashville, Tennessee,” said Watson.

Ash and Watson will attend DECA Nationals in April, where the pair will compete for a premier national placement award. Be sure to congratulate and thank the pair for earning national recognition for not only the Cove, but also for the overall reputation of Lake Stevens High School.