Students demonstrate the true meaning of Viking Pride during Homecoming

Senior Macy Berg and junior Makena Allen take Life Skills students to the dance

Homecoming+snapshot%3A+Senior+Macy+Berg+and+junior+Makena+Allen+ask+senior+Hunter+Thompson+and+senior+Austin+Stuburd+to+homecoming.+%E2%80%9CWhat+it+means+to+take+Austin+to+Homecoming%3F+Shoot.+He+is+my+best+friend%2C+it+doesnt+mean+anything+more+than+taking+a+best+friend%2C%E2%80%9D+said+Allen.++Berg+and+Allen+succeeded+in+making+Homecoming+an+unforgettable+night+for+both+Stuburd+and+Thompson.+

Photo courtesy of Sandy Goranson

Homecoming snapshot: Senior Macy Berg and junior Makena Allen ask senior Hunter Thompson and senior Austin Stuburd to homecoming. “What it means to take Austin to Homecoming? Shoot. He is my best friend, it doesn’t mean anything more than taking a best friend,” said Allen. Berg and Allen succeeded in making Homecoming an unforgettable night for both Stuburd and Thompson.

Throughout our lives we all meet people who inspire us, and seniors Hunter Thompson and Austin Stuburd have inspired senior Macy Berg and junior Makena Allen. Both students have been teacher assistants for the Life Skills class, Berg and Allen have had countless hours of happiness and they wanted to find a way to give back some of the joy that they have brought to their lives. That’s when Allen and Berg got the idea to ask them to Homecoming. This example of treating every student equally goes a long way in making our school a better place to attend.

The girls had both planned to ask Stuburd and Thompson for weeks and finally it came time to ask them. Berg and Allen presented posters with a big banner to Stuburd and Thompson at lunch asking them to Homecoming and their reactions were wonderful. “I was so happy that I started crying a little bit,” said Thompson.

In a world that can be so quick to judge other people, it’s so beautiful to see Thompson and Stuburd be included in the special event and be treated equally.

“I would encourage others to see that they are people too, that they are just like us. That they don’t understand the same things or it might take them a little longer to understand things but they’re people with feelings and good hearts and they should not be treated differently at all,” said Berg.

It is important to note that Allen and Berg haven’t simply made a “cute” gesture, but their actions are genuine.

“Austin is not only my date he is my best friend. I have never had such an amazing best friend before. He inspires me every day to be a better person. For the past year we have done everything together and i’m truly blessed to have him in my life” said Allen. “Just because he has a disability doesn’t mean he’s any less of a great homecoming date. I love him with all my heart!”

By asking Thompson and Stuburd to Homecoming, Berg and Allen demonstrated what it truly means to be a Lake Stevens High School Viking; they fearlessly stood up for what is right, while also inspiring many people.

“I’m doing this to make his day and not to benefit myself or do it for a cause, but to do it for Hunter and make it something he can remember from high school” said Berg.

The love that Berg and Allen have shown to the kids in the life skills class radiates and touches the lives of every student at LSHS. No disability should stop anyone from living life to the fullest and being able to be treated equally.

These dynamic duos took the floor at Homecoming on Saturday, October 24th. They showed everyone that no matter who you are or what your background is you are a Lake Stevens Viking no matter what the color of your skin, the shape of your body, or your abilities are.