Rivalry tradition turns spiteful

Harmless tradition escalates into harmful vandalism

Bailey Hall

Caught Purple-Handed. SHS security cameras catch LSHS seniors in the act of vandalizing the property. The picture was posted on social media, and the students were punished for their behavior. “[I was] more disappointed than shocked. I wasn’t too surprised that it happened. But it’s a shame that it happened … the spray paint on their school was too much. We can have a tradition without needless vandalism,” senior Dakota Canchella said.

While the majority of Lake Stevens High School’s Class of 2016 was expressing a good-natured rivalry on the evening of Thursday, September 24, 2015 painting “the rock,” other LSHS seniors were vandalizing Snohomish High School’s property.

“What happened last week is a fun tradition [that] was spoiled by a couple of students choosing to vandalize SHS instead of pranking them. This is the sort of distraction that our student body doesn’t respect or need,” LSHS Principal Eric Cahan said.

News that LSHS students had spray-painted the sidewalks of SHS came as a surprise to many.

“I was very disappointed to hear a student vandalized SHS. That, to me, just isn’t a part of who we are as Vikings or how we want to be known throughout the league,” Cahan said.

Not only does this malicious action represent LSHS in a negative way, but it also puts a damper on the long-standing rivalry tradition.

“I would like us all to take away the reflection on the difference between having fun and vandalism. I would also like us to think about how we want to be perceived by those around us and act accordingly. Most importantly, I want to keep Lake Stevens classy,” Cahan said.