Letter from the Editor-in-Chief

Goodbye, LSHS

Nathal

Change in leadership: Senior Josephine Wilcox moves to Texas at the end of March, sophomore Monica Velasquez will take over as editor-in-chief, and senior Isaac Olson will take over as the features editor.

So far this year our journalism team has worked to create a welcoming and hard-working environment. When it comes to the way things are run, the staff is changing. We have worked to bring news that our student demographic would benefit and learn from, as well as things that actually interest the students of LSHS. The experience of being this year’s editor-in-chief has been truly unmatched for me. I have gained friends I never would have spoken to or really interacted with otherwise. I have also learned to use my voice to get my points across. I have learned things about myself that I didn’t know previously. My patience has expanded and my understanding of working on a team and being a leader has grown exponentially through this experience. 

I regret that this will be my last month in the halls of Lake Stevens High School. I have lived in Lake Stevens my entire life and have known some of my peers for almost as long. My experiences at this school have shaped me into the person I am today. It’s helped shape bonds with people that I will never forget. 

However even as my time here comes to an end, someone will be there to fill my place. My successor who will finish the year as editor-in-chief is sophomore Monica Velasquez. Monica is a kind soul who is always prepared to help when asked. She is never afraid of feedback and knows how to work well with others. She currently is the features editor. 

At the beginning of the year, we didn’t have an editor for the Features section. When asked, I knew right away that I wanted Monica to fill the role and she accepted without hesitation. Her work has been consistent and amazing each time. She has written articles like “Wakanda Forever fosters strength through diversity”, “Seven classes establish new opportunities”, “ Academic burnout is real and preventable” and “Artist Spotlight: Micaiah Aling”. Every time, without fail, Monica delivers thorough and thoughtfully written journalism. I can always count on her to bring interesting and new ideas to The Valhalla. Getting to know Monica this year has been a privilege, and I can’t wait to see how she takes control of the paper.

Another new addition to our editorial staff is none other than senior Isaac Olson. Isaac is going to be a great addition to this year’s editorial staff. He is taking over the role as features editor from Monica, so she can focus on the editor-in-chief role. Isaac is patient and kindhearted. He works quietly and efficiently; however, he’s not afraid to have fun with his friends. When looking for a new features editor, Isaac was one of the first to come to mind. His work this year has been clear and concise, without seeming rushed. His works consist of “Talents to be known”, “Video games released in 2022 that give players more than just a game”, and his co-written article with Elliott Chappel “Lake Stevens establishes new shopping and dining opportunities along Highway 9”. Isaac is going to bring a fresh new perspective to the editorial staff that will bring positive change to the paper. 

Knowing that this is my last month at LSHS saddens me, but I’m happier knowing that I am leaving the paper in the capable hands of Monica and the rest of the editorial staff. I’m so glad I got to spend most of my childhood in the town of Lake Stevens. I will miss it dearly. Lake Stevens is my home and I can’t imagine my life growing up anywhere else but here. Wherever the staff decides to take the paper, it will be great, and I can’t wait to see it. I am going to miss the class and the people I have grown close to, but I’m glad I was able to have this experience and wouldn’t change it for the world.