Seattle Mariners 2022 season preview

The Mariners look to end their 21-year playoff drought in a hopeful year

Seattle Mariners

Seattle, Washington – April 15, 2022: The M’s are high favorites to win the AL West here in 2022 and fans across Washington are ready to celebrate a playoff birth here in the Pacific North-West. The defending AL Champs Houston Astros came to town on the Mariners’ home opener in front of a sold-out crowd at T-Mobile Park. “Being a Mariners fan lowkey sucks because they should’ve made the playoffs last year and now we have to wait a full 7 months to see them in the promise land,” sophomore Zachary Rhodes said.

Oct. 3, 2021, Raisel Iglesias struck out Mitch Haniger on a 1-2 pitch to close out the M’s 21’ season. The Red Sox came from behind to beat the Nats’ to clinch their spot in the playoffs. A win by the Mariners and a Red Sox loss would have sent Seattle into a wild card spot and end their drought.

90 wins – 72 losses. When the M’s were swept by the Padres in the middle of May and fell 5 games below .500, all hope for this season felt lost. But despite their lack of batting, their pitching and bullpen really carried the team back over .500.

“It was about that time of the season when I just stopped watching the games because they sucked,” sophomore Zachary Rhodes said.

The moment that really sparked them was sweeping the 2020 defending American League champions in four games and capped it off with a walk-off grand slam by Shed Long Jr.

They were to march on into September with a series win over the Astros and 11 games over .500, the highest they’ve been all year. Rookie center fielder Jarred Kelenic and starting pitcher Logan Gilbert both began to shine. Kelenic hit nine of his 14 HR in September while Gilbert had a 4.69 ERA through that stretch.

Offseason Additions:

Nov. 27, 2021- San Diego Padres traded away 2B/OF Adam Frazier for M’s prospects Ray Kerr and Correy Rosier.

Dec. 1, 2021- M’s signed FA, reigning 21’ AL Cy Young award winner Pitcher Robbie Ray to a 5-year, $115 million deal.

Mar. 14, 2022- M’s traded SP Justin Dunn, OF Jake Fraley and 1B/Of Jake Bauers for 21’ All-star OF Jesse Winker and 3B Eugenio Suárez.

March 24, 2022- M’s signed veteran bullpen RHP Sergio Romo to a 1 year 2 million dollar contract (Currently on IL: Shoulder).

The Mariners really needed another power bat to replace Kyle Seager, and with Winker, it accomplishes that even though he’s much better against righties pitchers.

“With Sadler going down for the year, adding Romo is a very big help. Especially with him winning a couple of World Series, he can bring a great veteran presence in our bullpen,” sophomore Gage Stephens said.

A huge blow to the bullpen is Casey Sadler (who ended the year with 0.67 ERA through 40.1 innings) because he is out for the year after undergoing surgery on his throwing shoulder.

Predictions:
Aidyn Marshall: 95-67 1st in AL West – 2nd in AL (Reaches Playoffs)
Dallas Medalia: 89-73 2nd in AL West – 2nd in AL (Winning Wildcard)