Spirit Week at LSHS

Are you spring ready?

Jose Vega

Spirit Senator! LSHS Senior Senator Michael Colonna considers new spirit days to implement before this year’s spring break. Colonna worked with members of his Leadership class to create new spirit days.”They should be coming from the audience and the people,” Colonna said.

As Spring Break continues to get closer by the day,  one can only hope for another spirit week. Since COVID students haven’t participated in spirit weeks as much. 

Historically, spirit days have been looked forward to by LSHS students, with some coming dressed up in senior colors, to people in full-on chicken costumes. Spirit days have been vital to a Lake Stevens High School’s spirit and student body. This year’s spirit days have been eventful, but are we doing all we can?

Senator and Leadership member  Michael Colonna shared his concern for more spirit days. He’s doing all he can in his power to roll out more spirit days for students. He plans to roll some out during the Spring Break spirit week, such as Twisted Tuesday, wear your favorite clothes backwards in a funky way! Another one is March Madness Monday. Show your support and love for basketball by representing your favorite team in jerseys.  

When students have something to look forward to, even in trying times, it can lead to a stronger student body. Students also say there aren’t enough spirit days; students let their concern be known and have even gone as far as to say that the ones we have today aren’t enough to lift up spirits.

Senior Diego Hernandez thinks there should be a variety of representation and goofy days within the spirit week. Such variety would be fun for students while also reminding them that history should be remembered. 

“Maybe Hispanic heritage – the spirit weeks now are plain and boring,” Hernandez said. 

While representing culture is a great idea, executing it in a way that does not make fun or demoralize the culture is absolutely necessary. Representing and spreading school spirit involves having everyone involved, so how does such a delicate idea come to fruition?

Having everyone involved is a goal that must be met in order for a spirit day to be rolled out. We don’t have much cultural representation in school, with the exception of clubs like MECHA, and BSU, ASU, DSU, Girls Who Code. 

A solution for that would be to apply some cultural references but in a small way, such as having a drink in the cove representing the culture, like a fun Cinco de Mayo drink, or a way that everyone can partake if they want to. Culture shouldn’t be forced on anyone and having a fun and tasty drink can help students to spread awareness for that culture.

Some students have called for an expansion in creativity for dress-up days.

“I think they should expand, expand creativity…The color schemes we have are downright boring,” senior Esteban Cardenas said.  

In the end, the addition of more spirit days would be nothing but fun and a good way to spread some cheer for the students who need it. School is only as fun as we make it, having a fun student body will definitely improve the remembrance of students’ years in high school.