Family and friends enjoy winter traditions

This time of year offers a chance for new memories

Family gatherings around the tree to celebrate and be together for the holidays.

Eily wagner

What is the meaning of tradition? Something that families or a group of people pass down from generation to generation. It’s special and something that is “sacred”. It’s something that you come back to each year, and look forward to doing every holiday.

The holidays are a special time for many. It’s when we gather around family and friends. Most of us look forward to the holidays and doing the things we love, like going on a trip to see Grandma and Grandpa, or maybe going sledding and building a snowman. People look forward to passing on their traditions from childhood to their own children. These traditions are special and bring family and friends closer.

Lake Stevens High School students and teachers’ families do a variety of fun things over the winter break. Teacher Lynn Atchley celebrates two holidays: Christmas and SinterKlaas.

“So a big one is SinterKlaas because we’re Dutch. On that Sunday, and so we draw names and then…you give a little gift, but it’s all about the packaging. You make something that has to do with the person,” Atchley said.

Traditions bring joy and happiness for families and friends all around and provide something to look forward to. More importantly, they provide memories.

“We would go and go get a Christmas tree, on my grandma’s birthday …we have everybody over and we all have a big feast, and we all hang out open presents, and just really just spend time together in the family,” senior Matthew Johnson said.

That is an amazing way to celebrate and spend winter break! These are just a few examples of traditions in the students and staff at Lake Stevens High School.
As we all get older, we have the opportunity to keep these memories and traditions that were passed down from you parents and grandparents. But we also are being more independent as we are reaching adulthood, and can make new traditions with new and old friends. As we become our own we can decide to keep old traditions or make new ones with your family.