Lake Stevens Football team is dominating

After a positive covid test the team only had a week to prepare for a top ranked O’dea team.

Hayden McDonald

Are You Ready?! Lake Stevens football team waits to kick the ball off against the Glacier Peak Grizzlies at Veterans Memorial Field in Snohomish. Lake Stevens won the matchup in a 34-28 game. “At the end of the season, this is the game that will decide our conference,” senior Colby Easterling said.

Football has a prominent place at Lake Stevens High School, but it had to take a two-week break when there was a positive COVID case on the team, causing the Vikings to cancel their first two games of the season and open with an away game at O’Dea High School. At the time they were ranked #2 in the 3A class.

“It was a big challenge we had to face, and we were ready to compete, and we were ready to prove a point to the whole state,” senior quarterback Grayson Murren said.

This two-week break didn’t do much to slow down Lake Stevens coming out of the break with an impressive 20-3 win against a then top-ranked O’Dea team at O’Dea.

“We practiced all summer, and we had spring camp as well, so we were ready when it came time,” senior Curtis Villicana said.

This win put the state on notice sending the message that they are still a top team in the state.
They haven’t slowed down since currently having a 6-0 record and standing at the top of the Ratings Power Index (R.P.I.) rankings in the 4A conference.

“We don’t really worry about the rankings, we know it can change at any second. We just worry about who we face next week,” Villicana said.

This mindset will be especially important with playoffs coming up fast when any game can be their last.
Something that has changed from last year’s COVID year is that the players no longer have to wear masks while playing. Another thing that has made a huge difference is allowing spectators to watch the game. Lake Stevens High School football stadium hadn’t had the student section filled in over a year and what a difference it has made.

“3,000 people in the stands is a feeling unlike any other and I will never forget it,” senior Colby Easterling said.

A game that most of the team is excited to play is against the Glacier Peak Grizzlies. This year they are also a highly ranked team in the 4A conference. It is always a good game between the two teams, a game that usually decides who is in first place of the 4A Wesco League.

“I would love to go out there on their field and do what we do and beat them,” Villicana said.

And win is what they did, beating out Glacier Peak with a final score of 34-28. Last week Lake Stevens started their post-season beating Emerald Ridge High School from Puyallup 63-21. Come out and watch the Vikings take on Richland High School in round two of the playoffs Saturday, Nov. 13 at 2:00 p.m.