The student news site of Lake Stevens High School

Valhalla

Lake Stevens Volleyball goes 11-0 after game against Glacier Peak

The Viks won all three sets against Glacier Peak on Tuesday, October 17, 2017.

Game point: Senior Lillian Eason sets her teammate to score the Viking’s twenty fifth point for their third set. Kamiak visited Lake Stevens for their match on October 10, 2017; the game lasted five sets. After losing the first two sets of this game, Lake came back and dominated the next three sets. “Come out and play like you’ve got nothing to lose,” said senior Hannah Aaenson when entering their fifth set.

Clara Langerveld

Clara Langerveld

Ryah Robinson, Photographer

With a 11-0 record, the Lake Stevens Vikings girls’ volleyball team took another win this Tuesday, October 17, 2017 against the Glacier Peak Grizzlies. In the first set, the girls seemed as if they were pretty laid back, but, as the set continued, the girls began to wake up. The Grizzlies had a close chance to tie towards the end of the set until the Vikings shut them down and won 25-21 with a team scoring average of 24.235.

In the second set, the girls started off with a 1-0 lead, and much stronger than the first set. Their communication skills started to kick in, allowing them to win again, 25-21 with a team scoring average of 22.75.

Finally, in the third set, the girls were up once again 25-14 and had a team scoring average of 23.25. By now, the girls were wide awake and communicating with each other the most. They worked harder in this set than the others, giving them the upper hand. Now, because the girls won all three sets, the game ended and the girls added another “W” to their record list. Good job, girls, and also, congratulations to #6 Grace Schroedl for being chosen as the Lake Stevens Volleyball Player of the Match.

Kendal Solis:

Thrilled to be starting the 2017-18 season off with a new coaching staff, junior Kendal Solis, spent her off season at the gym preparing. “I am excited about this season, the coaches definitely prepared the team well,” said Solis.

Solis plays for the club volleyball team, Fusion SVVC, as well as for the school. She believes one of her strengths is being a consistent passer as her position on the court is a defensive specialist, which is a player who can substitute in for any player. Although Solis spends most of her time playing volleyball, and has played since 3rd grade, her goal after high school is to become a veterinarian.

Grace Schroedl:

With great mental strength and focus, junior Grace Schroedl, started playing volleyball as an outside hitter at the  boys and girls club in Lake Stevens as a 5th grader. Schroedl went on to play club volleyball in 6th grade, and has played for Fusion SVVC ever since. She spends her off season at the gym and tends to play beach volleyball when she gets the chance.

Though Schroedl hasn’t decided on whether she wants to go on to play in college, she does plan on playing next season which will be during her senior year. She likes to play volleyball to forget about everything else going on in her life while she’s on the court. She also believes that, “a lot of your love for your sport comes from the people you are surrounded with when you play,” said Schroedl.

Lillian Eason:

Creating the best situation for her hitters, setter and senior Lillian Eason, has played volleyball since 4th grade. “I play because I absolutely love the team atmosphere,” said Eason.

After graduation this year, Eason is going on to play for Seattle University as she has verbally committed to them. When she’s not playing for the school, Eason plays club for the Space Needle Volleyball Foundation and is in setters training.