Analyze Expression

Students shine light onto what they believe is the artistic world.

An+infinite+potential%3A+Paint+brushes+await+their+fate+in+the+serene+studio+where+their+director+contemplates+which+brush+should+complete+their+masterpiece.+Under+the+cloudy+skies%2C+this+unconventional+artist+worked+with+their+idol+of+ten+years+for+the+first+time.+%E2%80%9CLife+is+art%2C+live+yours+in+color%2C%E2%80%9D+the+quote+printed+on+top+of+the+artist%E2%80%99s+sketchbook.+

An infinite potential: Paint brushes await their fate in the serene studio where their director contemplates which brush should complete their masterpiece. Under the cloudy skies, this unconventional artist worked with their idol of ten years for the first time. “Life is art, live yours in color,” the quote printed on top of the artist’s sketchbook.

What is art? This has been an age-old question ceasing to be answered even after all of these years. Throughout history the advancements in art have been incredibly influential and crucial to our understanding of the world around us, past and present. Teachers have lectured about the conventional idea of art, illustrating a masterpiece as a physical representation of the world around us; however, art doesn’t stop once inspiration crosses over into an analytical position.

Many conceptualize art as a tangible creation, when it can truly be anything anywhere. Math is the basis to art, science envelops the laws of art’s unique universe and sports require an artistic mind to create and visualize the expectations during a game. Being so unconventional and fluid, art may originate from the wondrous paintings by Vincent Van Gogh and range to murals painted against buildings, creating elegant cityscapes.

Art is ever changing. The meanings behind any piece of art are up to personal interpretation of what is presented in front of them. Lake Stevens High School is a very diverse community, so the Valhalla decided to ask students what they believe art is. Lowercase all classes in your quotes below and add periods inside the quotation marks for this style.

“Music, dancing and drawing.” – sophomore Abby Hill

“Anything that appeals to you.” – sophomore Eric Tonn

“Something that someone creates.” – junior Reilly Headland

“Expression.” – sophomore Hannah Hansen

“Imitated life.” – sophomore Delani Spainhower

“Everything around us.” – sophomore Isabelle Selby

“Collective ideas expressed in ways other than words.” – sophomore Karima Lijassi

“Anything that has commentary on society – anything you want it to be.” – senior Lucas Contreras

“Something that evokes emotion.” – senior Madeline Davis

“Something that expresses the creators opinions on the current human condition. The creator is saying something important.” – Associate Principal Daniel Alderson

“Something with color – something creative.” – senior Claudia Galvez

“Creation from inspiration.” – senior Yesenia Gonzalez

“You can’t give a simple answer. Music. Writing. Painting. Truly anything you have an attraction to.” – senior Unique Broman

“Something that has meaning to not only yourself but to others as well.” – senior Shila Stewart

“I would just say self – expression. Anything that you make can be art – in your point of view. Art is anything according to you. There isn’t a distinct definition.” – sophomore Alex Fleming

“Something you put your heart and your soul into.” – sophomore Troy Espinoza

“Art is another language for the brilliant minds of earth.” – sophomore Mereke Hoffman

“Art is fun stuff to look at.” – sophomore Jace Murkerson

“The fact that all human bodies are different just like their perspectives or their mindset. How bodies can come in different shapes and sizes and how everyone’s mind thinks differently.” – sophomore Neyra Zukic

Without having any association with each of those people, one is able to see the difference between their opinions and feelings towards art. In this group of individuals, there are wrestlers, baseball players, runners, dancers, singers, writers and many others types of students. These people were asked these questions at random, and then answered unapologetically with complete honesty. With these differing perspectives and artistic talents, the definition of art could not be determined.

The relevance of art to an individual changes with  how significant art is in their lives, and the power in which it possesses in society. The importance of art is immaculate, and art is created unknowingly. Many of the individuals who were asked this question replied immediately that they were “bad at art” or not artistic. Art is everywhere, art is anything, and everyone is art.

“ The earth without art is just ‘eh’ “ – Demetri Martin