We Celebrate Our Veterans

LSHS brings students, their friends and family together

Every year as tradition, Veterans are invited to be honored at our own Veterans assembly. The student body invites family and friends to come and be recognized for the service they have done for our country we call home. This year’s celebration was especially appreciated by local veterans.

The morning began with a breakfast prepared by the LSHS culinary classes to honor the veterans. They made some delicious foods, including three types of breakfast burritos, homemade yogurt parfaits, cinnamon rolls and fresh fruit. With their meals, they sat down and enjoyed the meal, visiting with their friends and families who invited them.

Some veterans shared their opinions about military life during breakfast.

“The best part of the military is coming home,” Major Christopher Larsen said.

Being away can be hard for families, but people join the military regardless of their personal sacrifices.

“The worst part was being overseas and the diseases that were around,” Corporal Herman Hagglund said. “I will always remember waking up early,” Corporal Herman Hagglund added.

Although leaving can be hard, enlisting in the military can be a great opportunity.

“It was a good experience for any young person, but it was a pretty boring time,” Petty officer third class Don Lundquist said.

Although it may be hard for veterans to leave their families, they have to adapt to this life. “It is what you make of it,” Major Christopher Larsen said.

After breakfast, the whole school assembled in the gym to continue the celebration of appreciation. Some of the students of the school talked about the sacrifice of veterans and provided some background information about the military. One LSHS alumnus Maddie Golden, who enlisted in the US Air Force came and spoke to the students about why she had joined and her experience while serving.

After Golden spoke, the choir sang the song “Star Spangled Banner“. Along with “The Star Spangled Banner”, the choir sang “Sleep” which was joined with the band and the band played the “Armed Forces Medley”. While playing Armed forces medley, some students walked with the military symbol for each branch. As the song was being played veterans stood as their branches part was playing.

Lake Stevens High School expressed their thanks through a standing ovation for all of the veterans who have or are serving our land of the free and home of the brave. Veterans fight for our freedom and for that we are very grateful.