Booing ban uproar among student body

Varying perspectives arise regarding booing sophomores

Does tradition make an action right? Some may argue and say that yes it does, while others may say the exact opposite. This question seems to be plaguing our school at the moment due to the uproar on the banning of booing sophomores at school assemblies. This tradition was around when I was a sophomore and it didn’t personally offend me in any way, but that can not always be said for other people.

In a way, the tradition seems to contradict our school values since all we want to do is welcome new students with open arms, but at the same time it provides a little for the upperclassmen since they were once sitting in the sophomore’s shoes themselves. It’s all based on a person’s personal opinion, and that’s what makes it such a debatable topic that seems to traveling around our school like wildfire.

Every school has certain principles they stand by and ours seem to be all about “respect, kindness, and equality,” senior Mia Depriest said. These three values are very prominent in our school life, and in a way, the booing contradicts the principles that are important to the school as a whole. Putting these school values first would explain the staff’s reasoning for discontinuing the tradition because it’s not the “Viking way” as some would say. Our goal is to be united as one student body at Lake Stevens High School and live in harmony. As upperclassmen, we are supposed to set a positive example to incoming sophomores, give them positive role models, and show them what our school is about. That’s why by booing and putting down the underclassmen that can be seen in a negative light.

On the flip side, some people see it as playful teasing that is done only at our school assemblies. “We only do it in the gym. It’s not like we continue to do it once we leave the gym. It’s a controlled conflict,” senior Luigi Villani said. The booing tradition is seen mainly in any assembly setting and is just seen as a teasing manner that goes on between friends. Most upperclassmen were not really bothered by booing their sophomore year and that may be the reason they think it’s okay to keep the tradition going. To most upperclassmen it’s only seen as a joking matter that they all went through when beginning life at the high school. I haven’t personally encountered anyone who was extremely offended by the booing at assemblies since everyone I know just sees it as teasing and a right of passage.

“We are like a family,” junior Adama Keita said. As a family we are supposed to treat each other with love and respect. That’s why a lot of students are supportive of the decision to prohibit booing because it creates a more positive learning environment.

Even if some people do not agree with the banning of booing, it may be good to bring a positive change to the school. Mrs. Ivelia made a choice that she thought would only better the school, and I can gladly say that I respect that decision and I know that there will be better things to come.