Australian Students visit LSHS

Students from Australia come to Lake Stevens high school for an unforgettable experience

A+group+photo+of+the+Aussies+and+their+host+students.+

Photo courtesy of Savannah Pratt

A group photo of the Aussies and their host students.

On January 11, 2016, a group of students from Australia came to visit LSHS. The group originally was partnered with the Band, but then was offered to the Choir to take over. For the past three years, these Australians have chosen to come to Washington to see sights such as Snoqualmie Falls, the Space Needle and Pike Place Market.

First, they came to the USA on January 6, where they went to California to go to Disneyland, Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm, Sea World, and the San Diego Zoo. Then they arrived to LSHS at 7 p.m. on Monday. During the school days, the students went off to see the sights of Washington, like the Underground Seattle, Pike Place Market, the Outlets, Snoqualmie Falls, and a snow-day in the Cascade Mountains.

The Australians, or Aussies, stayed with different host families while in Lake Stevens, Washington. They did many different activities with their host families as well.

“While I stayed with my host family we did many things than were new to me. Some things we did were go to the snow on their property, which I really enjoyed. I got to play disc golf which I found really fun and exciting. We went out for meals, played laser tag, went ice skating, and saw performances,” Grace O’Connor, one of the Aussies hosted by Savannah Pratt, recalled.

Savannah Pratt hosted Grace O’Connor
Photo courtesy of Savannah Pratt
Savannah Pratt hosted Grace O’Connor

Some of the students took the time to see Washington with their host families.

“Went to see a hockey game, watched Star Wars, and toured the countryside,” Corrie Potter, another Aussie hosted by Brandon Robertson, replied.

Others went to see different sights in Washington.

“With my family I saw the Cabaret, an ice hockey game, did heaps of shopping, watched a movie, and saw the snow in Leavenworth,” Rachel Kemp, another Aussie hosted by Kyla McCall, remembered.

Junior Kyla McCall hosted Rachel Kemp
Photo coutresy of Kyla McCall
Junior Kyla McCall hosted Rachel Kemp

While at LSHS the Aussies experienced a lot of cultural differences and noticed some differences between LSHS and their school in Australia.

“This school [LSHS] is much larger with a higher population. School starts earlier and ends earlier. Our school starts at 8:45am and finishes at 3:25pm. We are not allowed to eat in our classes unless given special permission. We also cannot use mobile devices,” Grace O’Connor said.
In addition to start times and technology usage, they noticed some other pros and cons.

“You have actual gyms, your students seem to actually enjoy school, and your food is worse,” Corrie Potter responded.

The Vikings made them feel welcome when on campus.

“LSHS is very big, with buildings spread out and placed randomly. The people at LSHS are very friendly and bold. Anyone will talk to you and answer any questions you have to help you out,” Rachel Kemp recalled. “You have no break for recess and [you have] longer periods.”

Compared to their school, LSHS was very different. The Aussies were also interested in the cultural differences as well.

“First thing I noticed was the meal and drink sizes. They are huge. It gets very cold in the winter. I found out than wages are rather low. As a result tipping is essential,” Grace O’Connor replied.

Each student’s responses were similar too.

“You eat more, you’re WAY more patriotic, and you have a lot of flags everywhere,” Corrie Potter answered.

“Everyone speaks differently, not only with an accent but they also have different names for things…The weather is very different and the buildings are all very similar to the surrounding ones…We also drive on the opposite side.” Rachel Kemp responded.

In the end, the Aussies had a wonderful experience while in America.

“Coming to America was a really fun experience for me. I made new friends, got to see snow for the first time, went to Disneyland, it was my first time going overseas,” Grace O’Connor stated.

For many of them, it was their first experience and impression of the USA.

“It was pretty good…Always order a small meal in America, and NEVER make fun of Jesus whilst around Americans,” Corrie Potter said.

Nonetheless, they seemed to enjoy it.

“I loved my time in Lake Stevens and am very grateful to everyone I met, especially my host family. Thank you all for giving me this opportunity, that, a couple of years ago, was unimaginable for me,” Rachel Kemp replied.

On Wednesday, January 20, a farewell party was held in the LSHS cafeteria before the Aussies left. The next day the Aussies returned to California before heading home.