LSHS art gurus prevail

Awards of artistic abilities received from national contest

One of the largest art contests in the United States, the Scholastic Art and Writing Contest, has concluded, and the awards have been distributed; among the select number of award recipients are LSHS Vikings.

Lake Stevens High School students received well-deserved recognition, bringing in one Gold Key, five Silver Keys, and fourteen Honorable Mentions.

Although the three awards distributed through the contest, gold key, silver key, and honorable mention, are nothing short of an outstanding accomplishment, the gold key award, which senior Vera Macabalo earned in addition to a silver key, is especially an accomplishment.

“It was really awesome to be acknowledged for something you love doing. It was a great feeling to know that a photo of yours connected with people and they liked it so much that they give you props for your art work. When I heard that I won a Gold Key and Silver Key, I was super flattered, and shocked all at the same time. Especially knowing my peers had photos that I admired,” said Macabalo.

LSHS Photography teacher Elizabeth Granillo inspired her students to enter the contest. Granillo worked relentlessly with her students to ensure recognition of their hard work and dedication.

“I was happy that LSHS students were recognized with Gold & Silver Key awards, and that others received Honorable Mentions […] Overall, I am happy that so many of the LSHS photography students were recognized,” Granillo said.

Be sure to visit the Scholastic Art and Writing Contest exhibit at The Schack Art Center. The gallery hours are Monday through Friday 10-6 p.m., Saturday 10-5 p.m. and Sunday 12-5 p.m. The exhibit closes on February 28.