Eason named Gatorade National Football Player of the Year

Surprise assembly honored Jacob Eason for his outstanding achievements

Gatorade representative Keri Lockett presents senior Jacob Eason with the Gatorade National Player of the Year award for football in front of the LSHS student body. This morning Eason joined the ranks of athletes like Peyton Manning and Abby Wambach who previously won this award. “I’m really proud of him because he really deserves it because of how hard he works and all the time he put[s] in. I know that he is going to do great things and live up to his potential,” Eason’s sister sophomore Lillian Eason said.

Cierra Holder

The Lake Stevens High School gymnasium was full of community members and students during a special assembly to recognize, Jacob (Skinny) Eason as the Gatorade National Football Player of the Year on December 15. This award not only recognizes athletic achievement, but it also recognizes academic excellence and exemplary character.

Eason received the news of his achievement from Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner.

“I am here to let Jacob know he won Gatorade National Player of Football,” Wagner said to Eason and his classmates after he unexpectedly walked into their class in the LSHS weight room.

Seemingly humbled by this honor, Eason took the podium just prior to being handed the trophy and said, “It’s just really an honor to receive this award, and I just want to thank all of you guys for being a big part of it. You know I kind of slipped this out earlier, but I have decided to officially recommit, I guess you could say, to the University of Georgia.”

Upon conclusion of the assembly, Wagner tweeted a picture of Eason, the Gatorade trophy, and himself with a caption of, “Stay clear from players like me on the field in college. Lol.”

In July of 2016, Eason will go to Los Angeles for the final stage of the Gatorade competition. One male and one female athlete will be chosen and be named the overall Gatorade Athlete of the Year.