New holiday drive shows good potential

Lake Stevens High School continues to make wonderful contributions to the community

Junior Bryn Kane and junior Connor Olmstead collect money donations from students during lunch to benefit the Lake Stevens Food Bank.

Traditionally holding an annual holiday food drive, Leadership, with the support of ASB, has decided on a new campaign this year, “Cash, Not Cans!”. Instead of students donating canned goods, Leadership and ASB are only accepting monetary donations and toiletries, all of which will go to the Lake Stevens Food Bank and the Li’l Hungry Hearts Foundation.

Monetary donations will allow charities to both provide food far beyond the winter holidays and pay for additional costs and needs.

“This fundraiser is better because it meets the needs of the food bank because what they really need is is a new building and to be able to buy produce when they need it,” senior Karen Hoffman said, “…canned food has a lot of preservatives in it and they already have canned food so they don’t need more that they won’t use right away. This fundraiser will be beneficial to more people and it’s easier for workers to go buy things as people need it so they don’t have to store it.”

Not only will this switch give donations a wider use, but it will also provide students with a larger variety of community service. After reading the donation options for “Cash, Not Cans!”, I saw several simple ways in which I, along with any other student, could contribute. Leadership and ASB are providing students with six different options for donations, which almost all allow students to earn community service hours. Vikings can collect donations at local stores, bring toiletry items to school, advertise the charity around Lake Stevens, and simply donate a dollar or two.

In addition to Leadership and ASB planning a great fundraiser in order to contribute to the Lake Stevens community, they also made the event appealing to students. Students can win an hour long lunch if the school raises $1,500 in one day or watch teacher Scott Flanders be duct taped to the bleachers. I like the creativity and twist put into this holiday drive because it gets students involved to help meet the school’s goal. The switch from cans to cash is a great idea. I hope that Lake Stevens High School raises more than enough money and collects an abundance of donations.