The politics behind superfanning

Don’t ruin other students’ superfan experiences

+One+topic+of+controversy+amongst+students+is+whether+or+not+students+should+be+allowed+to+sit+in+the+superfan+section+even+if+they%E2%80%99re+not+wearing+purple+and+gold.%E2%80%9CThe+superfan+section+is+dedicated+to+people+who+go+all+out%2C+who+dress+up+and+represent+the+school%2C%E2%80%9D+senior+Mikenzie+Cissell+said.

Cierra Holder

One topic of controversy amongst students is whether or not students should be allowed to sit in the superfan section even if they’re not wearing purple and gold.“The superfan section is dedicated to people who go all out, who dress up and represent the school,” senior Mikenzie Cissell said.

There are few things better to do on a Friday night than hangout with friends at a Lake Stevens High School football game. Recently, however, what should be a fun and easy experience has been dampened by a few students. Football season may almost be over, but being a good superfan takes year round effort. So please keep the following in mind when getting ready to show up to a game.

1: Stay in your section
It seems like every year at least one underclassman tries to buck the system and snag a seat in the first couple of rows of the super fan section, which are traditionally reserved for seniors. Senior Mikenzie Cissell has witnessed seat-snagging herself and she thinks underclassmen need to understand that they must wait their turn. “Personally, it just bothers me because I feel like the seniors earned [sitting in the senior section] because we’ve [waited] since sophomore year. I think that underclassmen [should know] they’ll get their turn, they’ll get their moment, and they need to let the seniors have their moment,” Cissell said. Normally, I’m all for going against the grain and doing your own thing, but when it comes to the superfan section, sorry underclassmen, we’ve all waited our turn, and you just need to wait for your senior year.

2: It’s called the superfan section for a reason
There’s nothing worse than seeing students not in superfan gear sitting in the superfan section. I’m not talking about a student who’s wearing a simple yellow or purple shirt with a pair of jeans. I’m talking about the student who rolls up to the superfan section in say, camo, or even worse, another school’s colors. For junior Aliyanna Davis-Green, superfanning is a group effort, and everyone’s participation is needed. “I feel like the effort I put in to dress up went to waste because [superfanning] is more of a group effort rather than an individual one,” Davis-Green said. If you’re going to make zero effort to show pride in your school and team, then you should consider giving up your seat for someone who is actually repping the purple and gold.

3: Turn up on school spirit, and nothing else
Needless to say, showing up to a school event intoxicated isn’t the best idea. But unfortunately, many can share at least one experience when they had to stand next to someone who was intoxicated. Not only does this take away from other students’ experiences to have a fun and easy Friday night, but students who show up to a game intoxicated are putting their own education and future at risk. “I think it’s really disrespectful, like I understand they’re trying to have a good time, but there are way better ways to have a good time at a football game, but don’t bring that to school,” Cissell said.