Choir Cabaret: What’s happening and how to plan for next year

Other concerts happen around here too

90’s kids transport back into 80’s world The combined choir kids get together for one last picture before the final performance Choir kids get into character to get the audience into the last song “Neutron Dance” by The Pointer Sisters.

Every year, the combined LSHS Jazz, Concert, and Treble Choirs have gotten together to perform for one night to raise money for either field trips to attend, competitions out of state and new performance equipment.

When successful (and in most cases they are), the money earned from the performance gets put into the choir ASB account. The money earned will go towards the current trip to San Francisco to compete in the World Heritage Festival in April, and the extra either goes to give spending money to the kids going on the trip or saved for the future.

Choir fundraisers are usually held during February-March for the last race to raise as much money as they can before the trip in early April.

Although choir has held many successful fundraisers in the past, such as an annual dessert auction, LSHS Choir Director Heidi Forslund wanted to switch things up a bit. “It gave the opportunity to kind of show off more students and more of their talents,” Forslund said.

This cabaret was made to showcase the hard work of the choir. It was full of talented students, performing acts from movies, Broadway shows and some included dancing. “It felt like an actual performance,” senior Haley Brown said. “We got to prepare and audition like it was the real thing.”

The fact that students were able to use their own choice of song was different.  “There was a ton of variety, so the show was never boring and the transitions with the MCs (seniors Logan Eugenio and Marcus Jordan) kept the crowd up and awake,”  senior Katie Knaub said.

The kids of choir were ecstatic about the new change in fundraisers, especially seniors since they have been doing dessert auctions since sophomore year.

“I think it was a really good replacement in place of the auction that we used to do,” Katie Knaub says. “The auction really never went well; although we enjoyed it, the money we got wasn’t much”

140 people attended and the cabaret was the choirs were able to raise $2800 that night.

The choir cabaret was held on February 3, 2017, and we will keep any updates for future performances on the LSHS The Valhalla.

The next choir concert is the All District Festival held at Cavelero in April, date to be determined.