MLK day is celebrated through influential assembly

Powerful speaker take the mic at LSHS assembly

Gabe+Murfitt+speaks+to+the+school+at+the+MLK+Assembly.+Murfitt+encouraged+the+students+to+set+top+shelf+goals+and+never+stop+working+to+attain+them.+

Gabe Murfitt speaks to the school at the MLK Assembly. Murfitt encouraged the students to set “top shelf goals” and never stop working to attain them.

Every year since 1983, we have had a day called MLK day. This day gives students and people a day off of work or school to reflect on the justice that was made by a man. The man’s name was Martin Luther King, Jr. He was a civil rights activist and to this day is remembered throughout the world.

Although some are excited for this day off, some people use it as a day to carry on his legacy.  His  most known speech was “I have a dream…”. With this speech years ago, Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke about how he had a dream for equality and the freedom of people. Everyone deserves freedom to speak and be themselves.

“It was a good time to remember why we had that day off and why Martin Luther King Jr. was so important to America,” junior Sophia Mendez said.

As students reflect on what they did and how they felt about the day, many think about the dreams that they have in their own lives.

“One of my dreams that I have in life is to become a movie director,” junior Collin Vanbeek said.

On Friday, January 13, LSHS had an assembly to honor Martin Luther King Jr. In the  assembly senior Mya Swint took the stand and spoke about disabilities. Mya Swint talked about having arthrogryposis and how rare it was.

“I feel like I had overcame an obstacle,” Swint said.

After Mya spoke to the audience, guest speaker, Gabe Murfitt spoke to the student body and staff. Along with his dog, Murfitt spoke about reaching our goals. He told us to set goals, even if they are on the very top shelf, in order to push ourselves forward.

With the talk of goals, shared about his life and what he has gone through with his own disability. He spoke about reaching for goals and although it may seem like you should give up, don’t.

“I think my favorite part is just right here, all these kids coming up to me and talking to me, knowing that I made an impact not on 1,800. It is about I made an impact on 1 person.” Guest speaker  Murfitt said.
Nothing is too far out of reach!