Principal Eric Cahan gives insight on the anticipation for the Class of 2019

Staff and facility additions needed to account for the 2016-2017 school year

Rose Blume

Around 683 students will arrive next year being the largest class LSHS has seen. The graduating class of 2019 has caused much excitement, but also has made some anxious. “[The next class being the largest] is exciting. It’s a compliment to our school that people want to come and live in the community and be here. The other side of it is, it’s daunting; it’s a lot of kids,” Cahan said.

The Class of 2019 arrives at LSHS next year as the largest sophomore class the school has seen. LSHS administration has set in motion a series of events that needs to be accomplished for the arrival of approximately 683 students in the fall for the 2016-2017 school year.

“One is, since it’s such a large class, we’re increasing our FTEs (Full-Time Equivalents) so our number of teachers. In the areas we are looking on doing that are physical education, and special education…and then history. Second is we need to look at our facilities; where we are going to put every classroom? We don’t have classrooms to fit all the teachers we are going to have. So we are looking very carefully at that,” Principal Eric Cahan said.

To accompany the new educational staff, an additional counselor is being added. Teacher Emily Chilson will transition to her new position of counselor to help reduce caseloads for each counselor. Interviews have already commenced for other departments and one teacher has been hired for the special education department.

“[The school] will be hiring two and one half time special education teachers and two general education teachers,” Cahan said.

With plans set into motion, LSHS is on it’s way to being ready for the Class of 2019.