Architects display what they could do for the school

District seeks student opinions on school improvements

Robb Stanton

Sophomores: Alyssa Alexander, Kylee Griffin; juniors: Brendan Calvo, Sophie Grieser, McKenna Marks Superintendent AmyBeth Cook, Executive Director of Secondary Education John Gerbert, Principal Eric Cahan, Athletic Director Jason Pearson, Executive Director of Operations Robb Stanton, Maintenance Supervisor Kevin Knowles, Energy Education Specialist ​Barbara Ossowski, and Custodial Supervisor Mike Hampton tour North Creek, Shorecrest and Bellevue high schools to view the work of potential architects. Input about LSHS building needs was given by the students. “Once we get an architect on board, we will begin working on a schedule for design and construction and discussing what additional roles students can play in the process. We’ll be seeking input from all students and working with leadership to regularly communicate about our progress,” Stanton said.

Lake Stevens School District gave LSHS sophomores Alyssa Alexander, Connor Bardue, Kylee Griffin, Nicholas Peña and juniors Josh Allinson, Brenden Calvo, Sophie Grieser, Mia Leoncavallo, McKenna Marks, Sydney McDermott and Elizabeth Stanton the opportunity to have a voice in the school’s upcoming remodel. Hoping to improve parking, distance between classrooms, bathrooms, locker rooms, class sizes, portables, electricity, the school’s environmental impact, and security, they spoke out about the challenges students face everyday with the current campus.

“Right now we are in the process of selecting an architect for the project. Ten students helped show our school to our three teams of potential architects. Then five students joined a district team to visit other high school projects that the architects had designed. Their feedback was terrific and helped in our selection process,” Operations Executive Director Robb Stanton said.

After an architect is hired and the remodel process is set in motion, the district hopes to include more roles that students can play in the school’s changes.

“This building is for [the students]. It’s a gift from the community to [the students], and we want to have students voices heard as much as possible in this process. I expect LSHS to be a warm, inviting environment that encourages collaboration, excellent teaching and has a environmentally soft footprint,” Principal Eric Cahan said.